Friday, February 25, 2011

Angry Birds is energy intensive


Like many iPhone owners, I am a big fan of the best selling game Angry Birds. However, I've noticed that if leave the app running in the background on my iPhone, which uses iOS4, its battery life is drained overnight. So don't forget to kill the app explicitly to prolong your battery life, and to save energy.

To Rovio, the creators of Angry Birds -- please consider improving the energy consumption profile of the app when it is in the background to avoid contributing to greenhouse gas emissions. With >12M copies already sold and moving towards a target of 100M copies to be sold, and each copy being played for many hours, we are talking about a lot of new emissions that otherwise would not have been there. This also translates to a lot of good that can be done, by investing in such an enhancement. It would be yet another positive PR angle for Rovio.

My naive ideas are you can save the state of play, and only resume looping animation with those expensive physics calculations when app is restarted. I am imagining, due to the energy consumption profile, that the birds are still bouncing on the slingshot waiting to be launched, even though no human player is looking at them. That's quite a cool image in my head though.

PS: I would love to help measure the energy consumption of this app, if someone shows me how! I have a Kill-A-Watt, but that wouldn't be useful, would it?

No comments: