Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Lasagna gardening - no till, no dig, no hassle, I hope

I plan to convert part of my back lawn into a vegetable garden using the lasagna gardening method (no till, no dig, no hassle!). I would like to make this a sustainable endeavor as much as possible, by minimizing the environmental footprint (no gas guzzling machinery, use local waste products) and keeping it organic hence this email to obtain old materials from the neighborhood.

So I sent out an email to the neighborhood mailing list, asking for materials to create the green and brown layers. Newspaper, peat moss or coir, compost, grass clipping (that has not been sprayed with chemical fertilizer / pesticide), etc, and am also making a list of places to buy them from. This will be quite a project, and I am excited to find, through the Master Gardener Program, this low-labor approach to replacing the lawn. I'll post progress reports and pictures here.

To learn more about lasagna gardening, click here or here.

No comments: